[logo: Kansas Heritage Group]

Kennekuk, Kansas History

1844--Major Wharton established the "Old Fort Laramie Road" through this area. The junction of the "Old Fort Laramie Road" and the "New Fort Laramie Road" was in the Kennekuk, Atchison County vicinity.

1858--The town of Kennekuk, Kansas was founded as a stage stop and named after a Kickapoo Indian Chief. It was one of the earliest settlements in Atchison County and the headquarters of the Kickapoo agency.

There was a Kennekuk located in Atchison County, 6 miles north of Muscotah, Kansas (section 3, twp 5, range 17).

There was a Kennekuk located in Brown County, 15 miles southeast of Hiawatha, Kansas (section 34, twp 4, range 17). The post office was established in 1857 in Brown County and was discontinued in 1900. A cemetery is still in the area.

1860--The town of Kennekuk was described in a letter as a thriving town where whiskey was its entire business.

Return to the Kansas Community Networks
or return to the Kansas Heritage Server.