WHITE CITY, KS
The Missouri, Kansas, and Texas (Katy) Railroad, built
through the county in 1868, passed through White City south of
In 1869 a colony was organized in Chicago under one Rev.
Pierce, with the object of making themselves homes in some of the
Western States. While in course of formation a correspondence
wsa opened up between Mr. Pierce and Mr. Somers of Council Grove,
the latter gentleman at that time being agent for a large amount
of railroad lands. When the colony was about ready to start
westward, Mr. Somers proceeded to Chicago to see to the
completion of its organization, and to accompany it to Morris
County. It numbered about forty families. The place first
selected for its location was about three miles from Parkerville,
but afterwards it moved about two miles further to the north to
land owned by T. S. and W. J. Mackenzie, who took and active part
in organizing the colony. In 1871 the Mackenzies had the town
site surveyed, and shortly thereafter building commenced. The
first house built in the village was by Thomas Eldridge in 1872
and the first store erected was by James Thornley and W. N.
Dunbar in 1872. In 1873 a good school was built, the first
teacher in which was Adam Dixon. There are now in the village
three general stores, one drug store, one grocery store, one
millinery shop, two wagon shops and two elevators. Three of four
years ago the Methodists put up a frame church building, and the
Congregationalists have now in course of erection an edifice of
like material. It depends for support upon the agricultural
country surrounding it, and is quite a shipping point for grain.
Its population is about 200 according to A. T. Andreas in 1883.
Names proposed first for White City were "Swedeland" and
"New Chicago" as so many Swedes settled there. White City was
named for F. C. White, superintendent of the Neosho division of
the Katy Railroad, who was responsible for the construction of
the road from Parsons to Fort Scott.
White City, about the first day of May 1887, celebrated the
completion of the Rock Island Railroad to that point
Return to the
Kansas Community Networks
or return to the
Kansas Heritage Group. Site maintained in Dodge City, KS.